Fourth day of protests for Brooklyn teen fatally shot by NYPD

Demonstrators march through East Flatbush as they protest against the shooting of Kimani "Kiki" Gray on Thursday, March 14, 2013 in the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn, N.Y.
AP Photo/John Minchillo
Demonstrators in East Flatbush in Brooklyn, N.Y. on Thursday, March 14, 2013, protesting the fatal shooting of Kimani "Kiki" Gray, 16, by police.
AP Photo/John Minchillo

(CBS/WCBS/AP) NEW YORK - Peaceful demonstrations took place Thursday night in East Flatbush to protest the death of a Brooklyn teenager who was fatally shot by police, CBS New York reports.

According to the station, it was the fourth straight night of protests for 16-year-old Kimani Gray, who was shot by two plainclothes cops Saturday night after police said he pulled a .38 caliber gun on the officers.

Thursday's candlelight vigil was a stark contrast to the protests held earlier this week that led to violence and dozens of arrests, CBS New York reports.

Carol Gray, the boy's mother, has reportedly said she didn't condone the violence protests, but wants answers in her son's death.

 Gray said her son was killed in front of his best friend's house after a birthday party. Autopsy results showed he was shot seven times in his shoulders, arms and legs, with wounds to the front and back of his body.

Gray was with a group on Saturday night but left when he saw officers in an unmarked car, police said. The plainclothes officers, who were black and Hispanic, approached him because he was acting in a suspicious manner, police said.

According to police, Gray pointed a .38-caliber revolver at them, and they opened fire. The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative duty.

"Our hearts all have to go out to the family of this young man," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at an unrelated news conference. "So far, all indications are that the young man had a gun, and I can promise you that we will conduct a full and fair investigation."