Watch CBSN Live

Fort Hood: The Victims

.open_headline {
font-family: palatino linotype, serif;
font-size: 24px;
color: #333;

.open_nav {
font-family: arial, sans;
font-size: 13px;
color: #aabfff;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;

Fort Hood: The Victims

A Look at Some of The People Killed or Wounded During the Fort Hood Shooting Rampage

Killed: Mike Cahill

Cahill, a 62-year-old physician assistant of Cameron, Texas, suffered a heart attack two weeks ago and returned to work at the base as a civilian employee after taking just one week off for recovery, said his daughter Keely Vanacker. "He survived that. He was getting back on track, and he gets killed by a gunman," Vanacker said, her words bare with shock and disbelief.

Cahill (pictured, left, with his grandson Brody) helped treat soldiers returning from tours of duty or preparing for deployment. Often, Vanacker said, Cahill would walk young soldiers where they needed to go, just to make sure they got the right treatment. "He loved his patients, and his patients loved him," said Vanacker, 33, the oldest of Cahill's three adult children. "He just felt his job was important."

Killed: Major Major L. Eduardo Caraveo

Caraveo, 52, arrived in the United States in his teens from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, knowing very little English said his son, also named Eduardo Caraveo. He earned his doctorate in psychology from the University of Arizona and worked with bilingual special-needs students at Tucson-area schools before entering private practice.

His son told the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson that Caraveo had arrived at Fort Hood on Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan.

His father's Web site says he offered marriage seminars with a company based in Woodbridge, Va.

Killed: Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow

DeCrow, 32 (left, with his wife, Marikay), was helping train soldiers on how to help new veterans with paperwork and had felt safe on the Army post. "He was on a base," his wife said in a telephone interview from the couple's home at Fort Gordon, Ga., where she hoped to be reunited with her husband once he finished his work at Fort Hood. "They should be safe there. They should be safe."

Marikay DeCrow said she wanted everyone to know what a loving man he was. The couple have a 13-year-old daughter, Kylah. "He was well loved by everyone," his wife said through sobs. "He was a loving father and husband and he will be missed by all."

Killed: Capt. John Gaffaney

Gaffaney, 56, was a psychiatric nurse who worked for San Diego County, Calif., for more than 20 years and had arrived at Fort Hood the day before the shooting to prepare for a deployment to Iraq. Born in Williston, N.D., Gaffney had served in the Navy and later the California National Guard as a younger man, his family said. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, he tried to sign up again for military service. Although the Army Reserves at first declined, he got the call about two years ago asking him to rejoin, said his close friend and co-worker Stephanie Powell.

"He wanted to help the boys in Iraq and Afghanistan deal with the trauma of what they were seeing," Powell said. "He was an honorable man. He just wanted to serve in any way he can."

Gaffaney supervised a team of six social workers, including Powell, at the county's Adult Protective Services department. Ellen Schmeding, assistant deputy director for the county's Health and Human Services Agency, said Gaffaney was a strong leader. He is survived by a wife and a son.

Killed: Specialist Frederick Greene

Greene, 29, of Mountain City, Tenn., went by "Freddie" and was active at Baker's Gap Baptist Church while he was growing up, said Glenn Arney, the church's former superintendent and a former co-worker of Greene's. "I went to church with him, knew him all of his life. He was one of the finest boys you ever saw," Arney said.

His family released a statement Sunday calling him a loving son, husband and father, who often acted as the family's protector. "Even before joining the Army, he exemplified the Army values of loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage," the family said.

Killed: Spc. Jason Dean Hunt

Hunt, 22, of Frederick, Okla., went into the military after graduating from Tipton High School in 2005 and had served 3 1/2 years in the Army, including a stint in Iraq. He had gotten married just two months ago, his mother, Gale Hunt, said.

"He didn't go in for hunting or sports," Gale Hunt said of the young man she called family-oriented. "He was a very quiet boy who enjoyed video games."

Hunt, known as J.D., was "just kind of a quiet boy and a good kid, very kind," said Kathy Gray, an administrative assistant at Tipton Schools.

Killed: Sgt. Amy Krueger

Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis., joined the Army after the 2001 terrorist attacks and had vowed to take on Osama bin Laden, her mother, Jeri Krueger, said. She arrived at Fort Hood on Tuesday and was scheduled to be sent to Afghanistan in December.

Kiel High School Principal Dario Talerico told The Associated Press that Krueger had spoken to local elementary school students about her career. "I just remember that Amy was a very good kid, who like most kids in a small town are just looking for what their next step in life was going to be and she chose the military," Talerico said. "Once she got into the military, she really connected with that kind of lifestyle and was really proud to serve her country."

Killed: Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka

Nemelka, 19, of the Salt Lake City suburb of West Jordan, Utah, chose to join the Army instead of going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, his uncle Christopher Nemelka said. "As a person, Aaron was as soft and kind and as gentle as they come, a sweetheart," his uncle said. "What I loved about the kid was his independence of thought."

The youngest of four children, he was scheduled to be deployed to Afghanistan in January, his family said in a statement. He had enlisted in the Army in October 2008.

Killed: Pfc. Michael Pearson

Pearson, 21, of the Chicago suburb of Bolingbrook, Ill., quit what he figured was a dead-end furniture company job to join the military about a year ago.

Neighbor Jessica Koerber, who was with Pearson's parents when they received word Thursday their son had died, described him as a man who clearly loved his family - someone who enjoyed horsing around with his nieces and nephews, and other times playing his guitar.

Killed: Captain Russell Seager

Seager, 51, of Racine, Wis., died in the Fort Hood shootings, according to his uncle Larry Seager. He was a nurse practitioner in the primary care area at the VA Medical Center.

Seager joined the Army Reserve about four years ago - relatives say he joined because he wanted to help veterans readjust to civilian life - and was reportedly looking forward to his deployment to Iraq.

Killed: Pvt. Francheska Velez

Velez, 21, of Chicago, had just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq. She was three months pregnant and due home by December for the start of maternity leave.

A friend of Velez's, Sasha Ramos, described her as a fun-loving person who wrote poetry and loved dancing. "She was like my sister," Ramos, 21, said. "She was the most fun and happy person you could know. She never did anything wrong to anybody."

"She was a very happy girl and sweet," said her father, Juan Guillermo Velez, his eyes red from crying. "She had the spirit of a child."

Killed: Lt. Col. Juanita Warman

Warman, 55, was a military physician assistant with two daughters and six grandchildren. Her sister, Margaret Yaggie of Roaring Branch in north-central Pennsylvania, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that her sister attended Pittsburgh Langley High School and put herself through school at the University of Pittsburgh. She said her sister spent most of her career in the military.

Killed: Pfc. Kham Xiong

Xiong, 23, a married father of three children ages 4, 2 and 10 months, had moved to Texas from St. Paul, Minnesota in July.

He was one of 11 siblings whose family came to the U.S. from Laos when he was just a toddler. His family had a history of military service. Xiong's father, Chor Xiong, is a native of Laos who fought the Viet Cong alongside the CIA in 1972; Chor's father, Kham's grandfather, also fought with the CIA; and Kham's brother, Nelson, is a Marine serving in Afghanistan.

"I very mad," Xiong's father said Friday. Through sniffles and tears, he said his son died for "no reason" and he has a hard time believing Kham is gone.

Kham Xiong was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, and his sister Mee Xiong said the family would be able to understand if he would have died in battle. "He didn't get to go overseas and do what he's supposed to do, and he's dead ... killed by our own people," Mee Xiong said.

Wounded: Spc. Grant Moxon

Moxon, 23, of Lodi, Wis., arrived at the Texas base Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. His father, Dave Moxon, said his son was shot in the leg. He was sitting in a processing room Thursday when he heard a commotion and found himself eye-to-eye with the shooter. After being shot above the knee, he pretended to be dead until the shooter moved away.

Grant Moxon is a mental health specialist - the same field as shooting suspect Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan.

Wounded: Joey Foster

Foster, 21, from Ogden, Utah, was shot in the hip. He was preparing to be deployed to Afghanistan. His wife, Mandy, 23, said he got hit and grabbed as many people as he could who were being shot at and ran to the back of the corner.

Foster is scheduled for surgery today to remove fragments of the bullet. His brother Chris is stationed in Germany.

Wounded: Sgt. Kimberly Munley

Police officials say after arriving at the scene of Thursday's gunfire, Sgt. Munley saw the suspect and started firing at him. Munley's boss, Chuck Medley, said Munley shot the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, in the upper torso, allowing officers to take him into custody.

Medley says in the exchange of gunfire, Munley was shot in the thighs and wrist. The 35-year-old is from Pennsylvania, used to be in the Army and is married to a Fort Bragg, N.C., soldier.

Wounded: Spc. Keara Bono

Family members said Friday that 21-year-old U.S. Army Reserve Spc. Keara Bono was shot in the back of the shoulder Thursday during the attack.

Wounded: Ray Saucedo

Saucedo is from Lansing, Mich. His wife says Ray was not shot, but that he had a scratch on his arm and was bleeding, so he was taken to the hospital. She said he is physically fine and is back at work, but is very upset because one of his best friends is among the dead.

Wounded: Cpl. Nathan Hewitt

Hewitt's uncles say one bullet grazed his hip and a second went through the 26-year-old soldier's calf in the shooting that killed 13 people, and that their nephew's injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

He was in a base medical center getting vaccinations when the shooting began, according to one uncle, who said Hewitt yelled at other soldiers to follow him and they fled through a door.

Wounded: Amber Bahr

Bahr's family says she was shot in the back and is undergoing tests. Her mother, Lisa Pfund, says she was relieved when the 19-year-old Bahr finally called Thursday evening. She told her mother she went running when shots rang out, and didn't realize she'd been hit until she went to an emergency room.

Wounded: Matthew Cooke

Cooke is from New York State.

Wounded: George Stratton III

A soldier from Post Falls, Idaho, Stratton was shot in the shoulder during Thursday's attack. His father, George Stratton II, told reporters that he received a phone call from his 18-year-old son immediately after the shootings. He said his son is expected to recover.

The younger Stratton was working at the Fort Hood readiness center, and his father said he was about five feet away from the shooter when he was hit.

Wounded: Staff Sgt. Alonzo (Mac) Lunsford

A Richmond County, N.C., native, Lunsford, who is in his early 40s, had been stationed in Texas for about a year. He was shot three or four times, and two of the bullets have been removed.

Wounded: Staff Sgt. Joy Clark

Clark is from Des Moines, Iowa. She was shot in the arm and is in stable condition, awaiting surgery.

View CBS News In