Watch CBS News

"I am the proof that God exists": Florida woman beat COVID 150 days after being admitted to hospital

"A Shot of Hope": Dr. Fauci answers your questions
"A Shot of Hope": Dr. Fauci answers your questions 13:55

Miami — Isabel Pupo was all smiles just days after she opened her eyes from a medically induced coma. Doctors, at times, were convinced it would not happen, as the 55-year-old was on the verge of death, CBS Miami reports

"During that time, I actually told the family on numerous occasions, unfortunately, that she was going to pass away and we are going to have to stop," said Dr. Steven DeBeer, a cardiothoracic surgeon in Florida.

Pupo was admitted into Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach back in July with severe COVID-19 and pneumonia. Doctors say her oxygen levels were considered "unlivable."

"I remember calling up Dr. DeBeer and I said, Steve can you even consider this lady with such a high BMI, very obese?" said Dr. Ari Ciment, a pulmonologist. She was then considered and put on an ECMO machine, a respiratory life support treatment, for 67 days. Even with the artificial lung, she was struggling to breathe.

"Her oxygenation was in the 50% by that monitor. Just did not seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel," said DeBeer.

While Pupo was in a medically induced coma, she said, "I remember listening to my daughter's voice on the phone. They would put the phone near my ear and all I remember was that she would say, 'Mom, fight for me. You can do this. You are strong. We need you.'"

Pupo said she fought for her inspiration, her family. "Before I got intubated, I looked at the ceiling and told God, 'Please help me.' I thought of them," said Pupo.

After a tough battle, Pupo made a drastic turn. Her deteriorated lungs healed and her oxygen levels increased. 

After battling the virus for 150 days, she beat COVID-19.

"I am a miracle of God. I am the proof that God exists. I have to repeat scientifically, I was not supposed to live," said Pupo.

Pupo was discharged back in November from Mount Sanai Medical Center. She spent three months in rehab and is finally home.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.