Live

Watch CBSN Live

FSU QB off team after video shows him punching woman in face

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Just hours after prosecutors released a video Monday showing Florida State quarterback De'Andre Johnson punching a woman at a bar, the team's coach announced he had been dismissed from the team.

In a statement, coach Jimbo Fisher announced the 19-year-old Johnson's immediate dismissal. The quarterback had been suspended after the June 24 assault, which took place at a Tallahassee nightclub.

In the security camera video released by the State Attorney's Office, it appears the woman and Johnson were trying to get a position at the bar, and Johnson jostled her.

The woman raises a fist and shouts at Johnson before he grabs her fist and holds it down. She then raises her other hand and swings. It's not clear whether she made contact, but Johnson responds by punching her in the face while still grabbing her other hand. She staggers, and her nose begins bleeding.

Johnson has been charged with misdemeanor battery in connection with the incident. He turned himself in to police on June 30 after a warrant was issued for his arrest and was released from custody later the same day on $500 bond, reports the Tallahassee Democrat.

Johnson last week retained criminal defense attorney Jose Baez, who is known for winning an acquittal for Casey Anthony -- the Florida mother accused of killing her toddler daughter. Baez said in a news release that he "would investigate the accusations against Johnson thoroughly," reports the paper.

Johnson is from Jacksonville and was the state's Mr. Football in 2014. He enrolled early at Florida State in January. He completed 8 of 11 passes for 155 yards and two touchdowns in the spring game in April.

The university's previous quarterback -- Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston -- also made headlines for unfavorable reasons during his tenure when another student claimed she was drunk at a Tallahassee bar in December 2012 when Winston and others took her to an apartment, where she says Winston raped her.

Winston has repeatedly denied the allegations, saying the two had consensual sex. Prosecutors have declined to charge Winston and FSU cleared him of any wrongdoing in a two-day student conduct hearing.

Winston has since gone on to be the top NFL draft pick and signed a $23.35 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He and his accuser still have lawsuits pending against one another.

View CBS News In