(CBS/AP) Sanford, Fla.- A Florida police chief said Monday that the investigation into the killing of Miami teenager Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watch leader was wrapping up and would be turned over to the State Attorney's Office on Tuesday.
Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee held a news conference on Monday to announce the completion of their investigation, according to CBS affiliate WKMG.
The State Attorney will now have to whether to criminally charge George Zimmerman in the 17-year-old's fatal shooting, reports local station WESH.
Martin's family has criticized the police department for not arresting the 28-year-old Zimmerman, who admitted to the shooting but claimed he was defending himself.
Lee said that the evidence so far doesn't contradict Zimmerman's claim of self-defense, therefore, he can't be arrested, WKMG reports.
"We don't have anything to dispute his claim of self defense at this point with the evidence," Lee reportedly said.
On the evening of Feb. 26, Trayvon Martin, 17, was visiting his father in a gated community near Orlando and had gone out to buy Skittles. Police say Zimmerman called 911 and reported the teen as a suspicious person.
A police report says only minutes after Zimmerman initially called 911 dispatchers received several calls of shots being fired in the neighborhood.
More on Crimesider: