Last Updated Jun 2, 2011 5:32 PM EDT
The pair bought the home in 2007 from Will & Grace co-creator Max Mutchnick for $29,000,000.
It includes an approximately 9,000 sq. ft. main house with extensive outdoor living areas plus a detached guest house. The detached guest house has 2 en suite bedrooms plus living/dining and kitchen. Additional space under the swimming pool includes high-tech fitness area, a well-appointed one-bedroom staff suite and underground garage space for 8 or 10 cars. Access to the areas under the swimming pool are by way of an all but hidden staircase behind the all-wood pool cabana.
As one of the most high-profile talk show hosts, and high-powered couples in the country, Ellen and Portia put a high premium on their privacy. To that end, they have extended the property...three times.
In January of 2008 they bought an adjacent property for $8,500,000. In February of that same year, Ellen drove the bulldozer that knocked down the home, herself! She filmed it for her show. Now that land is park-like with a meandering pond and enviable canyon views.
In June of 2008 the couple paid another $5,000,000 to purchase a third contiguous property, this one with a down-at-the-heels 1 bedroom and 3 bathroom house with canyon views.
One month later they bought a third adjacent property at $5,500,000, this one a 4 bedroom and 4 bathroom house sitting on a hillside at the back of the house. So, if you add it up, the pair paid out about $48,000,000 for their sprawling, private, secluded compound.
So, is $55,000,000 too much to pay for a little privacy?
More on MoneyWatch:
- Shriver, Schwarzenegger Former Home for Sale
- Best Home for a Billionaire (Not to Mention Millionaires)
- For Sale: Your Own Country Club for $1.5 Million
- Developer Offers New Homes for $1 Down
- Foreclosure Fraud? OCC Takes Action Against Mortgage Servicers for Unsound Foreclosure Practices
- Food or Rent? Government Shutdown Will Force Soldiers and Military Families to Choose
- Loan Modification Help for Military Servicemembers
- Want a Mortgage? Is Your FICO Credit Score 780?
- HUD 2012 Budget Highlights: You're Screwed
- Report: Smaller FHA Loans Reduce Taxpayers' Risk
- Home Values Decline Further in 4Q 2010
- Biggest Losers and Biggest Winners: Where Home Values Are Rising And Falling
- Top 10 States For Foreclosures in 2010
- Foreclosure Lawsuit Upset: Court Rules Against Wells Fargo and US Bancorp
- FHA's Reverse Mortgage Standards Get Tougher in Response to Increased Delinquency
- Pending Home Sales Up in November, Realtors Provide Economic Forecast for 2011
- 10 Best Cities to Rent Rather Than Buy
- Home Improvement: Remodeling Projects with Biggest Payoff
- Most Expensive Housing Markets In America
- Top 5 Markets For Great Real Estate Deals
- Housing Prices Rebounding Here
Ilyce R. Glink is the author of several books, including 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask and Buy, Close, Move In!. She blogs about money and real estate at ThinkGlink.com and The Equifax Personal Finance Blog, and is Chief Content Strategist at RealtyJoin.com, a community for real estate investors.