CBSN

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson says goodbye to dying puppy

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson says he wishes he could have saved his French bulldog puppy Brutus "one more time."

Brutus died on Monday night after Johnson and his partner, Lauren Hashian, decided to take him off life support. The puppy ate a poisonous mushroom and was sick "to the point of no return," wrote Johnson.

The actor posted a heartbreaking photo of himself holding the puppy on Instagram and wrote: "Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace.

"As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.

"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members.

"Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus#WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."

Fans may recall that Brutus got himself into a dangerous situation recently when he nearly drowned in Johnson's swimming pool. Luckily, that time, Johnson was able to jump in and save the puppy from the bottom of the pool.

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

  • Andrea Park On Twitter»

    Andrea is an entertainment producer at CBSNews.com