The key to creating the perfect outfit, says Suze Yalof Schwartz, executive fashion director-at-large at Glamour magazine, is to wear only one denim article per outfit. Don't wear denim blue jeans with denim shoes and a denim bag. You don't ever want to be head-to-toe denim.
She visits The Early Show to explain how to stay denim cool this summer.
The following are the looks she offers:
Look No. 1 - Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans: $48
After testing 200 jeans, Glamour rated Gloria Vanderbilt jeans tops in its squat test. You can sit down in them. They have a higher rise (waist) without looking like mommy jeans and they have a bit of stretch. Because they are dark, you look slimmer. You can wear during the day and at night.
Look No. 2 - Levis Skirt: $19.99
A jean skirt is a perfect for summer and fall. An A-line cut fits most shapes. Knee-length denim skirts are hot right now and can be worn with almost everything in your wardrobe. You can dress it up and dress it down. A printed top and cardigan is the perfect match; wear high heels to dress the look up.
Look No. 3 - Colored Jeans- Blue Cult Jeans: $125
Colored jeans are an alternative to dressed-up denim. Go with pastels now but avoid bright-colored jeans. Glamour paired them with a Banana Republic blazer for a professional and classy look. Glamour has a few dos and don'ts for colored jeans:
- DON'T do colored jeans with a high waist or tapered leg - too 1980s.
- DO know that darker shades can be as slimming as blue jeans.
- If you buy light-colored jeans, DON'T go too tight; they show every bulge.
Look No. 4 - Diesel Jacket: $250
Most women have a denim jacket, but what's new is a skinny belt that wraps around the jacket. It gives a denim jacket sophistication and class so it can be worn to work, for a night out or for a fancy lunch. Wear the jacket with a pencil skirt and high heels.
- Joes Jeans: $275 - There is a lot of embroidery in pants this season. These jeans have the vintage look even though they were made yesterday.
- Coach Denim Inspired Bag: $358 – This is a tote bag with blue and silver stripe.
- Roberto Cavalli Bag: $1,183 – This is a Western-inspired look with a tassel jean bag that is good for day and evening.
- Louis Vuitton Speedy Bag: $1,280 – This is a monogrammed jean bag; even Louis Vuitton is doing bags in denim this season.
- Gap Hobo Bag: $29.50 – This is a denim bag with two front pockets.
- G-StarDenim Boat Hat: $35
- London Sole Ballet Flat: $155 – These are denim ballet shoes with red leather bow. They are practical and comfortable for both work and play.
- Movado Jean Watch: $650 – It is a chronograph watch with a jean band.