Dayton Trips No. 13 Kentucky

It came down to hitting a wide-open 3-point shot. Once again, No. 13 Kentucky just couldn't do it.

The Wildcats blew a 10-point lead with turnovers and Tayshaun Prince missed an uncontested 3-pointer at the buzzer Monday night as Dayton rallied for a 68-66 victory, its first over Kentucky since 1955.

Tony Stanley scored 23 points and hit a pair of clutch 3-pointers down the stretch as the Flyers improved to 4-0 for the first time in 17 years.

"I think this win will do us a little bit of justice and get some recognition for our team," said Stanley, who made five of his six 3-point attempts. "We wanted this win and I think this definitely helped put us on the map and turn some heads."

Related Links

Game summary

Top 25 scoreboard

College Hoops Features:

  • Sizzlin' and Fizzlin'
  • Alumni Tracker
  • Exclusive audio
  • The Flyers also ended their history of searing losses in Cincinnati, where they'd been defeated in 25 consecutive games to various teams since the 1981-82 season. They've struggled anywhere on the road over the last few years.

    "The myth is over, the jinx is over," said Mark Ashman, who had 15 points and a team-high six rebounds. "It was probably more our mindset, but we changed that. We decided we could win on the road and now we have."

    Kentucky, coming off a loss to Arizona in the finals of the Preseason NIT, got ahead by 10 points with 14:33 to play and then crumbled under the weight of its turnovers and its inability to hit a long-range shot.

    The Wildcats had 20 turnovers against Dayton's sticky man-to-man defense and its fluid zone. They also went only 2-of-13 on 3-point attempts, which has been their weak spot so far this season.

    "I think we're just uptight," coach Tubby Smith said. "We had ope looks, shots that I thought were not hotly contested. We just weren't able to knock them down. That's been with us a few games now."

    Stanley's 3-pointer put Dayton ahead for the first time 58-55 with 4:54 left, and his 3-pointer after a long rebound made it 63-57. Kentucky had a last chance to pull it out after Edwin Young missed a free throw with 7 seconds left, but Prince's final shot bounced away.

    "I felt like it was going in, but it didn't," said Prince, who fell to the floor after watching it bounce off the rim. "If the shot's open, you've got to take it."

    Kentucky led the entire first half but couldn't push the lead to more than eight points because of Dayton's tough defense.

    The Wildcats moved ahead 52-42 with 14:33 left, then crumbled. They had three turnovers during an 11-point run that gave Dayton its first lead of the game.

    "That was the breaking point, the cracking point, yet our guys held their composure and continued to defend," coach Oliver Purnell said. "If you let down defensively there, the game's over at that point."

    Kentucky had an opening to pull away in the first half when Ashman, Dayton's top front-line player, went to the bench with his second foul 5 minutes into the game. But Jamaal Magloire lost his cool and Kentucky lost its chance.

    Magloire shoved Stanley hard with his hip long after the whistle, drawing a technical foul only 20 seconds after Ashman left the game. Magloire also headed to the bench with his second foul, and neither played again in the half, which ended with Kentucky ahead 39-33.

    ©1999 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed