Crowds cheer as Boston police announce suspect's capture

The first clue that police had finally captured the Boston bombing suspect came when officers and onlookers began to cheer and clap.

Crowds of people had gathered around the Watertown, Mass., property where police believed 19-year-old suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. Police said the teen was hiding in a boat behind a house.

After nearly a nearly two-hour standoff, Tsarnaev was taken from the scene by ambulance to Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, CBS Boston affiliate WBZ reports. Sources tell the station he is being treated for injuries suffered before Friday night's standoff.

The first confirmations came a little bit before 9 p.m.

"Suspect in custody. Officers sweeping the area. Stand by for further info," wrote the Boston Police Dept on Twitter. It received over 75,000 retweets.

"We got him, thank god we got him," Watertown Mayor Tom Menino told WBZ NewsRadio 1030's Dan Rea.

People first heard gunshots fired in the area at around 6:50 p.m. WBZ noticed a flurry of police activity that erupted moments after authorities wrapped up a press conference. They announced a day-long lockdown in Watertown, Boston and several surrounding communities was over.

More loud bangs were heard an hour later. Once news broke out that the police had surrounded the Boston bombing suspect, crowds of residents and reporters rushed to the scene.

After police announced Tsarnaev's capture, people continued to line the streets and clap as local and federal law enforcement official drove away. Police shouted "God Bless America" through their vehicle loudspeakers.

While happy about the outcome, officials took a somber tone remembering those who lost their lives in a press conference shortly after the capture.

"Our thoughts and our prayers are with their families," said U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz.

"Tonight we're all going to rest easy," she added.

Tsarnaev had been on the run since FBI identified he and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, as suspects in the Monday marathon bombings that killed three and injured more than 180 spectators and runners. The brothers are also suspected of killing an MIT police officer as he sat in his vehicle Thursday night.

Tamerlan was killed during a firefight and car chase with police late Thursday.