The R&B singer also said much of what has been reported of the incident is untrue, although he did not elaborate.
"Words cannot begin to express how sorry and saddened I am over what transpired. I am seeking the counseling of my pastor, my mother and other loved ones and I am committed, with God's help, to emerging a better person," Brown said in a brief statement issued through publicist Michael Sitrick.
"Much of what has been speculated or reported on blogs and-or reported in the media is wrong," he added. But he said he couldn't discuss that in detail until his case is resolved.
He did say he has not posted any comments about the incident on Facebook or any other Web site.
"Those posts or writings under my name are frauds," he said.
Brown surrendered to Los Angeles police on Feb. 8 and was released on $50,000 bail after being booked for investigation of making a criminal threat, a felony. He has not been charged by the district attorney's office, which is still investigating the case.
His arrest reportedly stemmed from an argument with his girlfriend and fellow singer Rihanna shortly after the pair left a pre-Grammy Awards party.
Both were nominated for Grammys and were scheduled to appear at the Feb. 8 awards show but canceled at the last minute. Brown surrendered to authorities just as the show was getting under way.
According to police, Brown and a woman began arguing as they were traveling in a car shortly after the Feb. 7 pre-Grammy party. The fight escalated after they got out of the car in the city's ritzy Hancock Park neighborhood, and Brown had left by the time police arrived.
Since Brown's arrest, speculation has raged about the impact the incident would have on the 19-year-old singer's career. Last week, Wrigley announced it was suspending an ad campaign featuring Brown plugging Doublemint chewing gum.