Live

Watch CBSN Live

Carbon Monoxide Kills Family Of Four

A Denver family of four found dead at an Aspen home with high levels of carbon monoxide were meeting friends for the holiday weekend, the Pitkin County Sheriff's office said Saturday.

The family was identified as 39-year-old Parker Lofgren, 42-year-old Caroline Lofgren, and their children Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8.

Parker Lofgren was a founding partner of the Denver-based St. Charles Capital, an investment bank. The Rocky Mountain News is reporting his wife was involved with several charity boards, including Girls Incorporated of Metro Denver and the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. She also helped raise money for Historic Denver.

Sheriff spokeswoman Marie Munday said other Denver friends meeting the family at the house a few miles east of Aspen found them Friday evening.

Munday says technicians found that a malfunction of the hot water and snowmelt systems led to extreme levels of carbon monoxide. She said the family arrived at the home sometime Thursday and that investigators are trying to determine who last spoke to them.

Autopsies are pending in Grand Junction. A toxicology report could take up to two weeks, according to the coroner.

View CBS News In