California Kidnapping: Two suspects sought after missing girl found in Los Angeles, authorities say

Scene of a kidnapping where a girl was found at a Starbucks in Los Angeles several hours after two men forcibly took her from her Northridge home on March 27, 2013
CBS Los Angeles
Starbucks coffee shop in Los Angeles where police say a 10-year old girl was found hours after she was kidnapped from her Northridge home on Thursday, March 27, 2013
CBS Los Angeles

(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Authorities are looking for two male suspects who forcibly took a 10-year-old girl from her bedroom Wednesday and later dropped her off at a hospital six miles from her Los Angeles home with cuts and bruises on her face.

"I've got a girl who was abducted," Los Angeles police Capt. William Hayes said at a media briefing Wednesday night. "I don't know why."

Police said one of the suspects was about 18-years-old but released no description of the other. The girl told investigators she did not know her captors.

At the hospital where she was being treated, the girl said the suspects held her for nine or 10 hours at an abandoned house near her home, Hayes said.

Police believe two vehicles were involved in the abduction and officers have recovered one of them, Hayes said. Investigators have cordoned off several crime scenes including houses and a storage facility in the investigation and manhunt.

"We have a 10-year-old girl that's been traumatized here, she was forcibly taken from her home," Hayes said. "If these individuals are brazen enough to do that, I'm putting all the resources I have to make sure they don't do it again."

The girl's parents reported her missing just before 4 a.m., and more than 11 hours later, someone who recognized her from media reports spotted her outside a Starbucks coffee shop and summoned police officers who happened to be nearby, police Capt. Kris Pitcher said.

Police later learned that the girl was dropped at a hospital a few blocks away and had wandered to the area around the coffee shop, Hayes said.

"She basically is in shock right now," Pitcher said.

The girl was wearing an oversized white T-shirt and was barefoot when she was found.

Her parents reported that she was wearing a black T-shirt emblazoned with characters from the TV show "Heroes" when they last saw her in her bedroom shortly after midnight, police spokesman Richard French said. When they checked on her a few hours later, she was gone.

There were no clear signs of forced entry into the house, Hayes said. But a gate outside that was left open led investigators to believe that the suspects somehow made their way in through the back of the house.