Watch CBS News

Biden leaves White House for the first time since getting COVID-19

Gottlieb: U.S. needs to boost monkeypox testing
Gottlieb says U.S. needs to boost monkeypox testing "substantially" 06:49

Washington — Ending his most recent COVID-19 isolation, President Biden on Sunday left the White House for the first time since becoming infected with the coronavirus last month and headed to a reunion with first lady Jill Biden in their home state of Delaware.

The president had tested negative Saturday, clearing the way to emerge from an isolation that lasted longer than expected because of a rebound case of the virus. The White House physician, Dr. Kevin O'Connor, had said in his Saturday update that Mr. Biden, "in an abundance of caution," would continue his "strict isolation measures" pending a second negative test. 

O'Connor said Sunday that the president returned a negative test in the morning and will "safely return to public engagement and presidential travel."

"I'm feeling great," Mr. Biden said before boarding Marine One outside the White House.

The Bidens are expected to spend the day in Rehoboth Beach, a popular vacation destination.

Mr. Biden originally tested positive on July 21, and he began taking the antiviral medication Paxlovid, which is intended to decrease the likelihood of serious illness from the virus. According to his doctor, Mr. Biden's vital signs remained normal throughout his infection, but he his symptoms included a runny nose, cough, sore throat and body aches.

After isolating for several days, the president tested negative on July 26 and July 27, when he gave a speech in the Rose Garden, telling Americans they can "live without fear" of the virus if they get booster shots, test themselves for the virus if they become sick and seek out treatments.

But Mr. Biden caught a rare rebound case of COVID-19 on July 30, forcing him to isolate again. He occasionally gave speeches from a White House balcony, such as when he marked the killing of an al Qaeda leader or a strong jobs report.

He continued to test positive until Saturday, when he received his first negative result. While the president was isolating in the White House residence, the first lady remained in Delaware.

The Bidens are scheduled to visit Kentucky on Monday to view flood damage and meet with families.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.