Baby Mystery Autopsy: Woman's Uterus Cut

Police officers from Wilkinsburg and Allegheny County stand outside the apartment of Andrea Curry-Demus, on Ella Street in Wilkinsburg, Penn. where a body was discovered Friday, July 18, 2008. Investigators found the body of a woman with her hands bound on Friday at the apartment of Curry-Demus, who showed up at a hospital with a newborn she falsely claimed was her's but later said she had obtained for $1,000, authorities said. (AP Photo/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rebecca Droke) ** MAGS OUT, NO SALES, MONESSEN, KITTANNING, CONNELLSVILLE, GREENSBURG, TARENTUM, NORTH HILLS NEWS RECORD, BUTLER OUT **
AP/R. Droke, Post-Gazette
The autopsy on the woman involved in a baby mystery showed partial evisceration that included her uterus being cut, authorities said Saturday.

The body was found Friday in a Wilkinsburg apartment of another woman who showed up at a hospital with a newborn she falsely claimed was hers.

The body "was in a state of moderate decomposition" and appeared to have been dead for about two days before it was found, Allegheny County Medical Examiner Karl Williams said in a statement Saturday.

The woman's hands and feet were bound with duct tape, and her face was covered with a plastic material that had also been secured with duct tape. A placenta was recovered at the apartment.

Investigators were trying to determine the woman's identity, how she died and whether she was the mother of the baby that Andrea Curry-Demus, 38, of Wilkinsburg, allegedly told police she obtained for $1,000.

Curry-Demus showed up at West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh on Thursday with a newborn that still had its umbilical cord attached, police said. Tests later proved she was not the mother - despite her claims to the contrary, police said.

Curry-Demus was charged with child endangerment and dealing in infant children. She has been jailed until she posts $10,000 bond and undergoes a psychiatric exam.

It wasn't clear if she had an attorney.

The woman's body was found Friday after reporters called authorities about a foul odor coming from inside Curry-Demus' apartment. Police had been at the building Thursday night, but did not go into that apartment, Wilkinsburg Police Chief Ophelia Coleman said. Instead, a relative of Curry-Demus led them to another apartment, she said.