NEW YORK (CBS) Fashion in 2010 had its ups and downs with some trends, like bright red lipstick, moving from the runway to the red carpet to Main Street and others, like Silly Bandz bracelets, going straight from the schoolyard to the arms of stars.
Katrina Szish, "The Early Show" style contributor, reviewed a few of these with an eye to what's worth saving in your closet and what needs to be tossed.
As for the stars, Szish says lady Gaga and "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm are the red carpet royalty who hit all the right fashion notes , while Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Kei$ha are among the most error-prone when it comes to fashion.
"There's no such thing as cheesy-chic," she says, "just bad taste"
Here are Szish's suggestions for your closet:
What to Toss:
- 1950s-iInsdpired styles: "The Mad Men craze made it into the Louis Vuitton Fall 2010 runway but this trend's brief moment is over. It will be replaced by all things '70s in 2011.
- Jeggings: This unfortunate attempt at jeans-as-leggings was a bad idea, made even worse the night Conan O'Brien wore a pair on his new TBS show.
- Silly Bandz: Started on the playground where girls collected and traded them , this trend is so 2010. (Hear that, Kelly Ripa and Katy Perry?)
What To Save:
- Platform Shoes: The higher the better! The trend is still going strong for 2011, despite the attempt to resurrect kitten heels this fall. We saw them in the SPRING 2011 Marc Jacobs, Prada, Chanel, Fendi runway shows and on the feet of Anne Hathaway, Lady Gaga (the extreme), Jessica Simpson, Victoria Beckham, and J.Lo.
- Leopard Prints: Tthe ubiquitous classic re-emerged as a must-have in 2010 and remains on the prowl for 2011! Check out Rachel Bilson, Jennifer Lopez, and Adam Lambert as celeb examples.
- Quirky Nail Polish Colors: From teal to purple to light blue, every shade of the the rainbow will continue to make a style statement.