Just in time for the holiday season comes some sage advice from Paul Spiegelman, author of "Why is Everyone Smiling? The Secret Behind Passion, Productivity, and Profit."
Spiegelman suggests creating a little extra cheer in the workplace to combat the negative economic news that's dampening everyone's holiday spirits. Among his dozen ideas for lifting the workplace woes:
- Decorate: Make an effort - even if it's just glittery snowflakes hanging from the ceiling.
- Make a personal connection: A hand-written note from the CEO or other leader to each team member makes a great impression
- Do something different: Step outside the box and get silly by showing up as Santa or host an ugly sweater party.
- Invite families to work: An all-inclusive cookies-and-cocoa gathering can create a happily blurred line between work and home.
- Be flexible with holiday scheduling: Let people leave early or take an extra-long lunch to shop.
(image by Photo Mojo via Flickr, CC 2.0)