Americans looking to get a jump-start on their holiday shopping Thursday have fewer options than before the pandemic, with more retailers now closing their doors on Thanksgiving Day.
The practice by major retail chains of launching in-store Black Friday sales on Thanksgiving came to an abrupt end in 2020, when.
While it was presented as a gift of the day off to employees, the idea seemed to go over well with the public. Target, for instance, in 2021 announcedfor in-store shopping on Thanksgiving.
In a pinch, shoppers needing last-minute ingredients or basic necessities will find some retailers open on Thursday, although many with shortened hours. Here's which retailers will be closed and open on Thanksgiving Day.
Stores closed on Thanksgiving
- Apple stores
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Best Buy
- BJ's Wholesale Club
- Dick's Sporting Goods
- Home Depot
- J.C. Penney
- Neiman Marcus
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Sam's Club
- TJ Maxx
- Trader Joe's
Stores open on Thanksgiving
- Acme — Open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Bass Pro Shop— Open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Big Lots — Open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- CVS — 24-hour pharmacy locations will remain open.
- Dollar Tree — Open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Family Dollar — Open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Giant — Stores will close at 2 p.m.
- Kroger — Most stores open about 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Meijer — Main store locations open from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Michaels — Open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Safeway — Open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sprouts — Open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Walgreens — Most 24-hour stores will be open all day.
- Wegmans — Stores will close at 4 p.m.
- Whole Foods — Open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
for more features.