Watch CBS News

Toddler Accidentally Served Sangria At Lakeland Restaurant

ORLANDO (CBS4) - Just days after it was reported that toddler was served a margarita instead of apple juice at an Applebee's restaurant in Michigan, a central Florida mother has come forward to say her two year old son was accidentally served sangria instead of orange juice at an Olive Garden restaurant in Lakeland.

Jill VanHeest says she took her son Nikolai to the hospital after she realized what had happened. Doctors gave the boy fluids and he was released a couple of hours later.

VanHeest, who has contacted an attorney, said she hasn't made up her mind yet if she will sue.

Orlando-based Darden Restaurants said the incident, which happened on March 31, prompted the company to caution employees to be more careful with alcoholic drinks. The company added that restaurant employees will now mix sangria individually to order, instead of in batches as it had before.

Applebee's said it will also change the way it serves drinks after a 15-month old boy was mistakenly served alcohol at a Detroit area restaurant last Friday. Doctors who checked him out say the child's blood alcohol level was .10 percent -- over the legal limit for an adult driver.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.