Watch CBS News

Back-To-School Shoppers Finding Slim Pickings

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Schools are opening their doors, and that has parents back-to-school shopping. But some people shopping for supplies are finding slim pickings.

Pandemic-related supply chain issues impacting hundreds of consumer goods are also leading to sporadic shortages of school-related items. And in places where shelves are stocked, shoppers are finding slightly higher prices because of inflation.

"That doesn't seem like a big deal when you look at it on an item-by-item basis, but when you get to check out and you're shopping for multiple kids and paying for everything in your cart, parents are really going to feel that," said Kristin McGrath, an editor with RetailMeNot.

McGrath said the most money is being spent on clothes and shoes ($491) followed by electronics ($447).

"Schools release specific school supplies that every kid in the area is going to be needing. So, if you haven't completed your shopping or you haven't even started, now is the time," she said.

The National Retail Federation predicts back-to-school shopping will hit a record $37.1 billion this year, with the average family spending $848.90

But it might not be so expensive for Carolyn Mushmel Tawil because her kids only did remote learning last year.

"We have so many supplies from last year that we barely got to use, so we're probably going to be able to use most of those," she said.

Parents are split on where to shop. RetailMeNot said 52% are buying in stores, the other 48% are making purchases online.

The National Retail Federation said college students and their families plan to spend $1,200 on average.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.