MIAMI (CBSMiami) - Approximately 500,00 Miami Heat fans are expected to line the streets of the downtown area and pack the AmericanAirlines Arena on Monday for the Parade of Champions and celebration.
The parade kicks off at 11 a.m. All roads along the parade route will be shut down by 8:00 a.m. on Monday.
Those who live and work in the downtown area know it's going to be a madhouse.
"It's going to be like a parking lot down here," said Luis Scott.
"Very congested. Very, very congested, I'm expecting pandemonium that is what I'm expecting," said Sean Garcia.
Passengers taking a cruise are also urged to arrive early. At 11:15 a.m. traffic into and out of Port Miami will shut down for about 45 minutes as the parade passes.
Parking will be limited and those planning to go are urged to the Metrorail and Metromover.
- Trains will run approximately every 5 minutes.
- Patrons are encouraged to use the web-based 'Train Tracker' service (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/traintracker.asp) to see when the next trains will be approaching their station.
- Train arrival information is also available at those Metrorail platforms equipped with LCD displays.
- Metromover will be operating with additional cars.
Paying Metrorail fare:
- At all Metrorail stations, except MIA, most fare gates will be 'express pay' lanes, where MDT attendants will be collecting the $2 in cash for a one-way fare.
- These 'express pay' lanes will be available from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regular transit customers will still be able to use their EASY Cards and EASY Tickets. Credit cards will be accepted at TVM machines located at all Metrorail stations.
- Parade-bound patrons are asked to bring the exact change in cash as no change will be provided.
- Free parking is available at MDT's Park and Ride Lots (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrobus-park-ride.asp)
- Parking is also available at various Metrorail stations (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrorail-parking.asp)
- The cost for parking at a Metrorail station is $4 for the entire day.
- Patrons can pay for parking at the "express pay" lanes along with their Metrorail fare. They will be provided with a receipt to show they have paid for their parking.
- MDT advises parade-goers to park at the following Metrorail stations:
- South Miami (5949 Sunset Drive)
- Okeechobee (2005 West Okeechobee Road)
- Douglas Road (111 Ruiz Avenue) - under the guideway
Patrons can exit at the following Metromover stations to reach the various parade locations:
- Eighth Street
- Fifth Street
- Bayfront Park
To reach the AmericanAirlines Arena:
- Freedom Tower
- Park West
Due to road closures in the downtown Miami and Brickell areas, several Metrobus routes will be detoured, including routes 3, 6, 8, 11, 24, 48, 77, 207, 208, C and S.
For more information on the enhanced Metrorail and Metromover service, or on the Metrobus routes being detoured, patrons can call 305-891-3131, weekdays, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. TTY users can call 305-499-8971.
Transit patrons are also encouraged to visit www.miamidade.gov/transit, or download the free iPhone app 'Miami-Dade Transit Tracker' to help them plan their trip.
for more features.