Watch CBS News

NOAA Predicts Near Normal Or Above Normal Hurricane Season

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

LAKELAND (CBSMiami) — U.S. government forecasters have released their 2018 prediction for how many hurricanes and tropical storms they expect to form over Atlantic and Caribbean waters in the next six months.

The six-month Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration outlook is:

  • 10-16 named storms (top winds of at least 39 mph)
  • 5-9 hurricanes (top winds of at least 74 mph)
  • 1-4 major hurricanes (category 3 or higher)

These numbers are based on probabilities of a 40% chance of a near normal hurricane season, 35% chance of an above normal season and 25% of below normal activity, according to NOAA

Overall, the experts predicts this hurricane season to be near normal or above normal levels.

NOAA predicted that 2017 would be an above-average season, and it certainly was: A trio of devastating hurricanes — Harvey, Irma and Maria — ravaged Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and many Caribbean islands. Overall, last year saw 17 named storms, including 10 hurricanes.

NOAA Hurricane Season Prediction
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.