Watch CBS News

Jailed Ex-UFC Fighter Appears In Court

OAKLAND PARK (CBSMiami) –A now ex-Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran fighter who was arrested after he threatened a group of people at a jiu-jitsu school and then barricaded himself in his home, stood before a judge Friday morning.

Thiago Silva, 31, faced a judge for a bond hearing after being held on no bond in the Broward County Jail since he was arrested earlier this month.  Silva had hoped he would have a hearing on getting released but a court snafu took that plan.

"I think I have to transfer this to domestic violence court under the rules," said Judge Lynn Rosenthal.

Dozens of Silva's friends packed the courtroom and were ready to testify on his behalf. They insist Silva is a lover not a fighter.

"They judged him on his tattoos and size. When have you ever seen 75 people show up for a man who is bad," asked Silva's manager, Glenn Robinson.

Silva was arrested two weeks ago on charges including aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, resisting arrest without violence, and two counts of aggravated assault.

The initial call to the sheriff's office was at 7:45 p.m. on February 6th after Silva allegedly threatened the people at the jiu-jitsu school at 777 E. Oakland Park Boulevard.

According to police, Thiago Silva came to the jiu-jitsu center and his wife came outside to avoid a confrontation. His wife said Thiago smelled of alcohol and showed her a black Glock gun and pointed at the victim saying she had to bring a man named Pablo Popovitch outside, according to the arrest affidavit.

Pablo came outside to help the wife, but when Thiago allegedly threatened to kill both of them, the wife and Pablo ran back inside and called 911, according to police.

After that, Silva went to his home on the 200 block of Coral Heights Blvd and locked himself inside. BSO deployed a SWAT team to the area and set up a perimeter around the home.

BSO SWAT approached the house and Thiago came out, but didn't comply with the commands of officers. The SWAT team used a taser on Thiago and he then complied and was taken into custody.

Police described Thiago, "appeared to be extremely intoxicated and uttered that he did not know what was going on" and then asked for a lawyer.

UFC officials released a statement earlier this month that read, "The Ultimate Fighting Championship has terminated the contract of Thiago Silva, effective immediately."

A friend of Thiago called the entire incident, "shocking to everybody."

"Never, never. He was a quiet, very nice person, nice husband, his wife is adorable. He was a family boy," said Rosio.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.