TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiam/NSF) - Just over six percent of people who have filed jobless claims since mid-March had received checks as of Sunday.
That number inched up from roughly 4 percent when Gov. Ron DeSantis revamped management of the overwhelmed unemployment-compensation system last week.
A new "dashboard" from the Department of Economic Opportunity was unveiled Monday to provide updates on claims that have flooded the state's CONNECT unemployment system as businesses statewide have closed or dramatically scaled back because of the novel coronavirus.
The report from the department listed 40,193 people as of Sunday receiving weekly checks of up to $275 from among 652,191 people who had made claims since March 15.
On Thursday, a day after DeSantis removed Department of Economic Opportunity Executive Director Ken Lawson from oversight of the unemployment system, the governor said 33,623 people who had applied for benefits during the slowdown had drawn state checks. DeSantis said at the that more than 800,000 people had applied in the prior month.
The department in a news release said that as of Sunday, 1.5 million claims had been submitted, with a note that people might have submitted more than one application.
"This number includes multiple duplicates and triplicates due to many individuals filing directly in CONNECT, online and by paper," the department said. "We are going through the process of identifying duplicates and triplicates, and currently have 652,191 confirmed unique claims of the total claims submitted."
Because of problems with the CONNECT system, the state has opened a second online site for applications and started to accept paper applications.
As April got underway, DeSantis set a goal of 80,000 applications being processed a week to reduce a growing backlog.
While in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, DeSantis said fixing the system is his "number one economic priority."
"The process has gotten better," DeSantis said Friday. "There's still more work to do. But we're doing all kinds of technological upgrades with an eye towards the speed of doing this."
DeSantis issued an executive order Thursday to lift a requirement that people reapply every two weeks when seeking state benefits, which last 12 weeks. DeSantis had earlier put a temporary stay on the requirement that people seeking benefits prove they had weekly applied for five jobs.
The Department of Economic Opportunity also said Monday another 23,801 checks had gone out to people who had qualified for money under a new federal stimulus law. The federal payments go up to $600 a week.
Department of Management Services Secretary Jonathan Satter replaced Lawson in charge of the unemployment system. CONNECT cost $77 million to get online in 2013.
"We understand the challenges to the CONNECT system have only added to the stress on Florida families, and my number one goal is to ensure Floridians in need of reemployment assistance get paid, quickly," Satter said in Monday's news release.
More than $100 million has been spent to speed up the handling of the claims.
In a report released Friday, the state's unemployment rate jumped from 2.8 percent in February to 4.3 percent in March. But the latest number reflected only the first half of March, just as many businesses were starting to shut down to slow the spread of the virus.
Current Curfews In South Florida
Drive-Through Testing Locations
Track The Spread Of The Coronavirus In Real Time
How To Make Your Own Face Mask
Tips To Protect Your Vehicle While It Sits Unused During Coronavirus Stay-At-Home Order
(©2020 CBS Local Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The News Service of Florida's Jim Turner contributed to this report.)
for more features.