The Children's Services Council of Broward County (CSC) works closely with the South Florida Hunger Coalition and other partners to help reduce childhood hunger. Among a number of initiatives is the Mobile Summer BreakSpot program, a part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Summer Feeding program. The CSC, the lead funder of the Mobile Summer BreakSpot in Broward County, works with Florida Impact, Meals on Wheels South Florida and the Broward County Housing Authority, along with other community partners, to ensure children have access to a proper lunch and snacks.
In 2016, 8,940 Broward youth at 75 sites had lunch and snacks (some kids also received breakfast or supper). Sites consisted of municipalities, housing authorities, libraries, parks, school board locations, Back to School Extravaganza events, and other places throughout Broward County. Over 150,000 meals were served to children who may otherwise go hungry at lunch during the summer break.
2015 Impact – 65,904 meals were served to 2,491 kids
2014 Impact (pilot program launched) – 21,860 meals were served to 923 children
In 2016, there was also an increase in the number of enrichment activities offered at Mobile Summer BreakSpot sites. Some of the activates included:
- SWIM Central provided Water Safety
- Broward Sheriff's Office and the City of Coral Springs Police Department provided programs all summer long
- Memorial Healthcare System provided Healthy Living activities once a week, all summer long at South Broward locations
- YMCA's YFit provided Physical Fitness and Nutrition Education at the BreakSpot sites located in TOUCH areas (Fort Lauderdale and South County)
- FLIPANY provided Healthy Living activities and Cooking Demonstrations at three locations
- Meals on Wheels South Florida added USDA "My Plate" curriculum for early childhood through eighth grade
- Partnered with Broward County Library at 28 libraries and participated in "The Big Win" Summer Reading program
- Provided more than 2,000 books to all sites through donations by Broward County Public Schools and the Children's Services Council
- Partnered for Summer Learning Day
- Share Our Strength Tour/Filming of Summer BreakSpot 2016 (Broward Sheriff's Office soccer clinic, fire truck and police vehicle tour, bloodhounds, games, etc.)
The Children's Services Council of Broward County is an independent taxing authority which was established by a public referendum on September 5, 2000, and reauthorized via referendum on November 4, 2014, which, through Public Act, Chapter 2000-461 of the laws of Florida, authorized the Council to levy up to 0.5 mills of property taxes. The role of the Council is to provide the leadership, advocacy and resources necessary to enhance children's lives and empower them to become responsible, productive adults through collaborative planning and funding of a continuum of quality care. To learn more about programs and services the Children's Services Council funds, please call (954) 377-1000. For more information on the CSC, visit www.cscbroward.org.
Above content provided by Children's Services Council of Broward County.
for more features.