Watch CBS News

Double Murder Sparks A Day Of Chaos

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Investigators are still trying to determine what sparked a day of terror that ended with a total of four people dead after a shooting, police chase, car crash, and police standoff Wednesday morning.

"I was sleeping and I heard some shots. looked out the window and the ambulance was already here," said neighbor Mario Monfort. "The daughter, she was all covered with blood."

The initial call came in around 9:45 a.m. saying that a man, identified as Antonio Feliu, 48, shot two women during a domestic dispute on the 12000 block of 190th Street in South Miami Heights.

Miami-Dade Police said the shooting happened when a man opened fire on a mother and her daughter.

"Once officers responded to that scene, that's when they discovered the two females that were suffering from apparent gunshot wounds," Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said.

Vivian Gallego Martinez was shot in the head and died in her home. Her daughter, 28-year-old Anabel Benitez was airlifted to Kendall Regional Medical Center where she also died.

News of Benitez's death quickly spread to Paraiso Restaurant, where she worked as a delivery driver.

Her coworkers said they sensed something was wrong when Benitez did not show up for her 11am shift and did not return several phone calls.

"Anabel is very nice, good people," co-worker Belsis Cuesta said. "(She's) very special. Everyday working."

Distraught relatives and friends showed up at the home throughout the day Wednesday trying to figure out what happened.

Police identified the shooter as Gallego Martinez's estranged boyfriend, Antonio Feliu.

Investigators will look into the status of the relationship in hopes of sorting out the events that led up to the shooting which set off the chase that ended in a deadly crash more  than 30 miles away.

"It's been a long day, a tragic day," Det. Zabaleta said. "A lot of families that are mourning at this point."

A crime-scene clean-up crew was at the home until late Wednesday night trying to wash away any trace of the violence that occurred inside.

Neighbors were stunned that something so violent could happen right next door.

"I'm thinking about how sad it is. How disturbing because it's normally quiet over here," said  Carla Woodson. "Just upsetting to know what's going on, it's sad."

Unfortunately Feliu not only took the lives of Martinez and Benitez, but while fleeing from police, the suspect hit 48-year-old Maritza Medina's car. Medina, from Pembroke Pines, died on the scene.

Medina's family and friends consoled each other Wednesday at her home.


Neighbors believe Medina, a wife and mother, was returning home from dropping one of her daughters off at school. They also said that the Town of Southwest Ranches put up gates on several streets near Medina's home that prevented her from taking a more direct route to her house.

Neighbors say that is the only reason Medina drove on US 27 Wednesday morning.

"If Southwest Ranches hadn't closed (SW) 199th (Avenue), 202 (Avenue) and 205 (Avenue) , she would have never taken that path," said neighbor Frank Crandon. "We believe US 27 is a deathtrap to anyone that goes there."

It was the place where Maritza Medina died Wednesday -- a loss to her family and community.

"Wonderful lady, wonderful lady," said Crandon. "Husband Diego. Good neighbor. Quiet lady, very sincere and this didn't have to happen today."

The below video is raw, unedited video of the chase and crash.

WebExtra Video Links:


Click Here To The Second Part Of The Story: What Happened During And After The Deadly Police Chase.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.