Watch CBS News

Exclusive: Accused Pedophile Will Remain On Bond, Living With Vice Mayor

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) - Stanley Kowlessar appeared in Miami-Dade court Wednesday as the state attempted to have his bond revoked as he awaits trial for allegedly sexually assaulting a nine-year-old neighbor in her Palmetto Bay bedroom last February.

Kowlessar had been granted bond and was allowed to live with Palmetto Bay Vice Mayor John Dubois in Dubois' Biscayne Bay front mansion. Kowlessar's father, Stanley Kowlessar, Sr., is a close friend and political supporter of the vice mayor.

Prosecutors asked the judge to revoke the Kowlessar's bond after two former neighbors claimed he sexually assaulted them over a period of three years including a period when Kowlessar was 19, an adult, and the younger of girl's was fourteen.

Click here to watch Gary Nelson's exclusive report. 

Prosecutor Jarrett McNeill told the court Wednesday that the alleged prior acts exhibit a pattern of behavior by Kowlessar and that he should be locked up.

Defense attorney Robert Amsel countered that the alleged previous acts occurred more than a decade ago and that the parents of the alleged victims had remained friends with Kowlessar's family. Amsel also noted that Kowlessar has abided by all conditions of his release on an ankle monitor, has maintained his work and attended all required counseling, and treatment, sessions.

Judge Cristina Miranda refused to revoke Kowlessar's bond. She acknowledged that he had not violated any conditions of his release, and has committed no offenses subsquent to his arrest in February.

Vice Mayor DuBois, who has expressed support for Kowlessar and believes him innocent, said he will honor the judge's order to continue serve as his custodian pending the trial.

Kowlessar is scheduled to stand trial in August for lewd and lascivious molestation of a child under the age of 12 and for burglary with a battery. Both offenses carry potential sentences of life in prison if Kowlessar is convicted. uent to his arrest in February.

Vice Mayor DuBois, who has expressed his support for Kowlessar and believes him innocent, said he will honor the judge's order to continue serving as custodian of Junior Kowlessar pending his trial.

Kowlessar is scheduled to stand trial in August for lewd and lascivious molestation of a child under the age of 12, and for burglary with a battery. Both offenses carry potential sentences of life in prison if Kowlessar is convicted.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.