PAHOKEE (CBSMiami/AP) — Twin 14-year-old girls died after being pulled out of a mobile home that caught fire Friday morning, fire officials said.
The fire started as sisters Cassandra and Catherine Colon and their mother slept around 1 a.m. Friday morning. Authorities believe it was sparked by an extension cord. The house was quickly engulfed. Sheriff's deputies ripped out windows and eventually found the girls inside.
They were pronounced dead at the hospital. The girls' mother was able to escape. She was hospitalized and is expected to make a full recovery.
The fire chief said the home had a smoke detector, but there were no batteries installed.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.