Is Donald Trump's presidential campaign bad for his business?

Donald Trump is both a billionaire businessman and a Republican candidate for the presidency in 2016.

But what happens when the interests of the latter role are pitted against those of the former? It wouldn't be the first time. In 2011, Trump went to the trouble of formally announcing he wouldn't run against President Obama because, he said in a statement at the time, "[B]usiness is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector."

Trump is discovering that his two pursuits are more at odds than he may have expected, given the recent parade of businesses that are severing their commercial ties to Trump in response to the candidate's recent remarks about Mexican immigrants.

Donald Trump 2016 -- for real this time

At his campaign kickoff last month, Trump warned of a lack of security along the U.S.-Mexico border, complaining that the U.S. has become a "dumping ground" for the world's problems.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said. "They're sending people that have lots of problems...they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

The remarks drew swift condemnation from immigration and Latino advocacy groups, along with a handful of Democratic candidates, but Trump hasn't backed down. In fact -- he's been elevating his comments as exactly the kind of unvarnished straight talk other candidates are too cowardly to offer.

There is some evidence that Trump's in-your-face approach is paying political dividends for now: A CNN poll released at the end of last month found Trump in second place among GOP primary voters nationwide, netting 12 percent and trailing the leader, Jeb Bush, by only seven points.

But there's also evidence the comments are hurting Trump's bottom line. Here are four companies that recently dumped Trump in response to his comments about Mexico.

Macy's

Since 2004, Macy's department stores have carried a line of Trump-branded menswear, selling shirts, ties, and cufflinks with the billionaire's surname on the tag.

On Wednesday, though, the store moved to end its relationship with Trump, citing his recent inflammatory comments about Mexican immigrants.

Donald Trump's 2016 campaign launch fires up critics

"Macy's is a company that stands for diversity and inclusion. We have no tolerance for discrimination in any form," the company said in a statement. "We are disappointed and distressed by recent remarks about immigrants from Mexico...In light of statements made by Donald Trump, which are inconsistent with Macy's values, we have decided to discontinue our business relationship with Mr. Trump and will phase-out the Trump menswear collection."

Trump's response, in essence: you're not dumping me, I'm dumping you!

"I have decided to terminate my relationship with Macy's because of the pressure being put on them by outside sources," he declared in a statement. "While selling Trump ties and shirts at Macy's is a small business in terms of dollar volume, my principles are far more important and therefore much more valuable."

"I have never been happy about the fact that the ties and shirts are made in China," he added, "because of what they've done in terms of devaluing their currency, it is very hard for other companies to compete and make such apparel in the United States. These are the kinds of issues I am committed to addressing. Securing our border, negotiating trade deals that benefit the United States and bringing jobs back to America is my top priority."

Trump went a step further on Twitter, calling for an outright boycott of the department store chain:

NBC Universal

When Trump briefly flirted with a 2012 presidential bid before deciding not to run, he cited his job as host of NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice" as one factor that weighed against a candidacy.

Now that he's running in the current election cycle, he's announced he won't be coming back to the show. But after his comments about Mexican immigrants, NBC made it clear he's not welcome back. The network also said it would not broadcast Trump's "Miss Universe" and "Miss USA" pageants.

"At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values," the network explained in a statement. "Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump. To that end, the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants, which are part of a joint venture between NBC and Trump, will no longer air on NBC. In addition, as Mr. Trump has already indicated, he will not be participating in 'The Celebrity Apprentice' on NBC."

A response from the Republican's campaign declared, "Trump stands by his statements on illegal immigration, which are accurate. NBC is weak, and like everybody else is trying to be politically correct -- that is why our country is in serious trouble."

Trump also suggested he'd probably take legal action against NBC in response: "If NBC is so weak and so foolish to not understand the serious illegal immigration problem in the United States, coupled with the horrendous and unfair trade deals we are making with Mexico, then their contract violating closure of Miss Universe/Miss USA will be determined in court."

Univision

Univision, America's largest Spanish-language television network, actually beat NBC to the punch on dropping Trump's Miss USA pageant and ending its relationship with the Miss Universe Organization, which produces the Miss USA pageant, after Trump's comments about Mexican immigrants. Univision had a $13.5 million contract with Trump to air the Miss USA pageant through 2019.

"At Univision, we see first-hand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country," the network said in a statement.

The pageant's co-hosts, Cheryl Burke and Thomas Roberts, pulled out of the event as well.

In a statement, Trump defended his speech by saying that he was "exposing to the public, and the world, the significant damage that is being done at the southern border." He alleged the Mexican government "and others" had pressured Univision to break its contract with the Miss Universe organization.

In the following days he banned Univision employees from his Trump Doral Miami golf course and filed a $500 million lawsuit against the network.

"These have long been my views and I have the courage, unlike many others, to express them. As a consequence of their inappropriate actions, Univision and NBC have abandoned fifty-one wonderful young women who have come from all over the United States to pursue their dream of being crowned Miss USA," Trump said. Later, in an interview on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor," he said the women "have been crushed."

Mexican gov doesn't want me talking about terrible border situation & horrible trade deals. Forcing Univision to get me to stop- no way!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 25, 2015

Univision wants to back out of signed @MissUniverse contract because I exposed the terrible trade deals that the U.S. makes with Mexico.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 25, 2015

Univision, for its part, says Trump's lawsuit is "factually false and legally ridiculous," and promised to fight his attempts to distance himself from the "derogatory comments."

They also encouraged their employees to avoid patronizing Trump properties while traveling for business.

As the disagreement escalated, Trump also lashed out at Univision host Jorge Ramos. He used Instagram to post a note from Ramos requesting an interview that included the host's personal cell phone number. The post was later removed.

Trump later had this to say on Twitter:

.@jorgeramosnews Please send me your new number, your old one's not working. Sincerely, Donald J. Trump

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 29, 2015

Televisa and Ora TV

Trump's business interests didn't just take a hit in the United States. Televisa, which is the largest Spanish-language media company in the world and broadcasted the Miss Universe pageant in Mexico, severed ties with Trump shortly after NBC and Univision.

"Mr. Trump hasn't demonstrated understanding or respect toward Mexican migrants and has offended the entire Mexican population," the company said, according to Bloomberg. "Televisa isn't indifferent to these declarations and energetically condemns all forms of discrimination, racism and xenophobia."

Ora TV, which is backed by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, said it would also end a project it was developing with Trump over the comments. There are no published estimates of what either the Televisa or Ora TV deals are worth to Trump.

Arturo Elías Ayub, the chairman of Ora TV, said that Slim's holding company "is 100% inclusive, we respect all people, we respect all sexes, races, religions and nationalities. Trump does not think this way. It is difficult to work with a person that does not share our values."

Ricky Martin

Singer Ricky Martin used his Twitter feed to tell Trump what he thought, in Spanish:

Mucho odio e ignorancia en tu corazón @realDonaldTrump. #LatinosUnidos

— Ricky Martin (@ricky_martin) June 25, 2015

(Translation: Much hatred and ignorance in your heart.)

And then Martin also pulled his charity golf tournament from Trump's golf club in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.

"This decision corresponds to the commitment of solidarity from our founding president to human rights and the Latino community," a spokesperson for Martin said in a press release Monday.