SOUTH LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — New developments in the Ezell Ford shooting investigation triggered a protest Saturday in South L.A.
Protesters spoke out against police use of force at the site where the 25-year-old was shot and killed last August.
Ford's relatives were down the street watching it unfold. They told CBS2/KCAL9's Adrianna Weingold they were not participating in the demonstration. But they are upset at a report that began circulating Friday that the LAPD had determined the officers' actions were justified and that they'd make that recommendation to the L.A. Police Commission.
Ezell Ford, Sr. said, "Everybody's just really disappointed, but they knew it was going to be this outcome."
The LAPD would not comment on whether they had finalized a recommendation.
The commission, a civilian panel that oversees the LAPD, is expected to discuss the shooting on Tuesday.
Commission President Steve Soboroff wants to make it clear no final decision has been made: "Any intimation that anything has been decided by the department, or that anything has been decided by anyone, is unfair to the Ford family. And I apologize sincerely to them."
If, at Tuesday's meeting, the officers' actions are found to be justified it will be up to LAPD Chief Charlie Beck to determine what, if any, punishment will be handed down.
Ford's mother Tritobia said Saturday, "It was wrong. They never had any reason to stop my son, period. They never had any reason to stop my son. My son wasn't doing anything, he was walking."
LAPD officers have never said why they initially stopped Ford. They said in their report that a scuffle ensued and Ford reached for one of their guns. They shot him three times.
Ford had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. His family says he was harmless.
for more features.