LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Brendon Glenn was shot to death last May by a LAPD officer in Venice.
At the time, the 29-year-old was described as an unarmed homeless man. Police said they shot him because he was harassing people outside a Venice bar and later grabbed for an officer's gun during a scuffle.
The city settled a wrongful death suit brought by his family days ago for $4 million.
As CBS2's Randy Paige reports, the family on Friday spoke out for the first time.
"He had a home, he wasn't homeless," said Glenn's mother.
Glenn's mother and sister came out from New York to put the final touches on the lawsuit but it also gave his mom the chance to talk about her son and, in her words, set the record straight.
"I wasn't even there to hold him," Sheri Camprone said.
It was a hot summer-like night on May 5, last year wen two officers responded to the call of a man harassing people outside the bar.
Eight-year LAPD veteran Clifford Proctor claimed he shot and killed because Glenn tried to get hold of his partner's gun.
Police Chief Charlie Beck said security video told another story. Glenn did not go for the gun. Beck asked LA District Attorney Jackie Lacey to file criminal charges against Proctor.
"I am also very concerned about this shooting," Beck said at the time.
"If officer Proctor only knew Brendon he would have never killed him. He would have loved him, too, just like everybody else did," said Camprone.
The city of Los Angeles agreed to pay the $4 million settlement -- half will go to his mother, the other half to his 4-year-old son, Avery.
"What do you say to a little boy who misses his daddy and wants to know how long it takes God to put him back together again so he can come back home?," Camprone said, choking back tears.
The DA's office told Paige Friday the case involving Officer Proctor is still under review.
Glenn's family, meanwhile, is asking why it's taking so long.
for more features.