Watch CBS News

3 Taken Ill At The Bowl Suffer Apparent Food Poisoning

HOLLYWOOD (CBS) — Three people were hospitalized, including one in critical condition, for apparent food poisoning while attending the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl, a police sergeant said Sunday.

Los Angeles police Sgt. Raul Jovel said the other two victims were said to be moderately ill with symptoms consistent with food poisoning.

The incident was reported at 7:09 p.m. Saturday at the Hollywood Bowl, where the 33rd Annual Playboy Jazz Festival was already underway, Jovel said.

Originally, the trio was thought to have suffered a drug overdose. Over time, police and firefighters ruled out a crime and started to look at a bad food reaction.

"We were called out here for originally for an overdose but upon our investigation working closely with LAPD we found out, most likely, it's food poisoning," LAFD Battalion Chief Corey Rose said.

People who had been with the three adults say the trio ate food before arriving at the Bowl for the concert.

"And the food was consumed at another, unrelated site other than here," Rose said.

Witnesses say the three fell ill relatively quickly, prompting the calls to 911.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.