KALAMAZOO (AP) - Officials say the smell of natural gas on the campus of Western Michigan University prompted the evacuation of about 300 students from their dorm rooms.
The Kalamazoo Gazette reports students returned to their rooms around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at Harrison-Stinson halls on the school's Kalamazoo campus after being evacuated earlier in the morning as a precautionary measure.
School spokeswoman Cheryl Roland says gas service to the dorms was turned off and a generator was being used at the building as officials investigated.
WOOD-TV reports Consumers Energy responded and found a small leak on a fuel line leading into the building. No one was injured.
© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
for more features.