Watch CBS News

2 Dead After Home Explosion Likely Caused By Gas Leak

THETFORD TWP. (WWJ/AP) - Authorities say two people are dead and one is injured after an explosion and fire at a home in Genesee County following a report of a natural gas leak.

Dave and Sue Miller died after the blast, which happened Tuesday afternoon at a home in Thetford Township. Another person in the home was injured in the explosion.

Clio Area Fire Chief Gary Domerese told the homeowner was digging with a backhoe nearby and hit a gas line. The home, located about 65 miles northwest of Detroit, had been undergoing renovation.

Domerese said authorities are investigating what led the gas to explode. He said the homeowner reported the leak to Consumers Energy and a technician came to the home, but the home exploded as the technician went to a truck to get tools and call for other workers.

TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.