Watch CBS News

Freon Leak Forces Castle Rock Sam's Club To Evacuate

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (CBS4)- A Freon leak forced the evacuation of the Sam's Club in Castle Rock on Saturday. About 100 customers and staff were evacuated for safety reasons.

SAMS CLUB EVAC 1 (Castle Rock Fire Department) copy
(credit: Castle Rock Fire)

Shortly before noon, a forklift driven by an employee struck a Freon line in a walk-in cooler inside the store. An automated Freon detection alarm activated and indicated a leak.

SAMS CLUB EVAC 2 (Castle Rock Fire Department) copy
(credit: Castle Rock Fire)

Castle Rock Firefighters responded, monitored the air, and confirmed the leak and evacuated the store.

Crews mitigated and stopped the leak. They also ventilated the building. The store reopened about 3 hours later.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.