Watch CBS News

2 People & Dog Injured After Explosion At Home

LAFAYETTE, Colo. (CBS4) - Firefighters rushed to a home in Lafayette on Wednesday afternoon on reports of a gas leak and house fire that sent two people to the hospital.

A dog was also injured.

"Found two patients transported ... with burns. We don't know the extent of the burns at this point," said Lafayette Fire Chief David Friedel.

The gas leak was at a home in the 1000 block of Modred Street in Lafayette. It is unclear whether the gas leak sparked the fire.

(credit: CBS)

"We didn't' see the explosion but we felt it and my mom, she ran outside to make sure everyone was okay because she's a nurse," said Zion Dugger, a neighbor. "After a while we started to see flames coming out of the windows. It was really scary and there was a huge amount of smoke too."

Copter4 flew over the home where one side of the home was burned through the exterior wall.

Copter4 flew over the home in Lafayette (credit: CBS)

"They were burned they were really, really … they were burned," said neighbor Judy Gonzalez.

The names and conditions of the two people who were hospitalized have not been released.

(credit: CBS)
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.