Watch CBS News

Elk Creek Firefighter Injured Fighting House Fire

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) - An Elk Creek firefighter had to be hospitalized for smoke inhalation fighting a house fire Sunday morning.

The Elk Creek Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 5:30 a.m. near the town of Pine. The fire was burning inside the attic and on the roof of the structure. Firefighters were able to quickly put the fire out.

Two people renting the home were all able to escape without injures in their dog. The firefighter who was injured was airlifted to St. Anthony's Hospital and is expected to recover.

Michael Davis with the Elk Creek Fire Department said it appears that the fire originated in the chimney and spread into the attic. Flames were 30 feet high at one point.

"The lady had indicated that she had gone to sleep in the living room and that she woke up in the night and saw a glow and smoke and they evacuated the home," neighbor Rick Machle said.

"I think everyone, before they start using their wood burning appliance, should get their flues professionally cleaned and inspected," Davis said.

There was substantial structural damage to the home.

Neighor Rick Machle says it's a second stroke of bad luck for the owner.

"The same house actually burned a few years back, and my understanding was it was from a chimney fire," Machle said.

Davis confirmed there was significant damage back then and the chimney had been rebuilt.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.