Watch CBS News

Colorado Man Dies After Contracting Hantavirus

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) — Health officials say a southeastern Adams County man has died after contracting hantavirus.

The Tri-County Health Department announced Friday the man, whose name and age have not been released, died Nov. 15.

Investigators say he was probably exposed to the virus while repairing plumbing in a small space that had rodent droppings, or while working in a garage where rodents frequented.

People are infected by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or by disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings.

Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, which can lead to death.

Hantavirus is rare, with an average of four cases a year in Colorado.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.