Watch CBS News

Cold Springs Wildfire Creates Questions About Transients

NEDERLAND, Colo. (CBS4) - At least 2,000 people and hundreds of homes were evacuated over the weekend as the Cold Springs Fire traveled quickly.

By Sunday afternoon, it doubled in size to more than 600 acres. The fire has destroyed three homes and so far it is not contained.

"When we were leaving we could see the flames," said one evacuee at the Nederland High School.

As the evacuation area grew, so did the frustration among evacuees. They learned two transients from Alabama, camping on private property, were responsible for starting the blaze.

"This is what we expect up here. I've called the police many times over the years to come down and have them check out a bonfire," said one resident.

"We see more and more transients and kids from other states coming up here and camping and living in the woods and getting stoned and then they don't mind and tend to their fires," said longtime Nederland resident Keith Cabaniss.

He says the problem is getting bigger season after season.

"Our lives are being wrecked. What used to be a nice place to live is now inundated with disaster," Cabaniss said.

While crews say it could be days before the Cold Springs fire is out, the issue of transients has residents fired up.

"We want to know what the town marshal is doing," said Cabaniss.

A federal Type II incident command team has taken over the Cold Springs fire, bringing additional resources in hopes of gaining some containment.

Crews prepared Sunday night for a coming cold front and wind that could affect their efforts.

Wildfire Resources

- Visit CBSDenver.com's Living With Wildfire section.

Wildfire Photo Galleries

- See images from the most destructive wildfires (Black Forest, Waldo Canyon, High Park and Fourmile) and largest wildfire (Hayman) in Colorado history.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue