Watch CBS News

Teen Shot While Allegedly Trying To Steal Sheriff's Deputy's Car Was Unarmed

CHICAGO (CBS) -- A Cook County Sheriff's deputy shot an unarmed 16-year-old Monday night, when the teen allegedly tried to steal his car at a car wash in the Little Village neighborhood.

Around 8:40 p.m. the 50-year-old deputy stopped at a car wash at Cermak and Rockwell during his lunch break while on duty in his personal vehicle, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County Sheriff's Office.

After the deputy pulled up to the vacuums and stepped away from his Chevy Corvette, a 16-year-old male jumped in the driver's seat, trying to carjack the deputy, who pulled out a gun and shot the teen in the left shoulder, authorities said.

Cell phone video obtained by CBS 2 shows the scene shortly before 9 p.m. Dozens of officers swarmed the car wash and focused their attention on the white Corvette.

Police said the only weapon recovered at the scene belonged to the deputy. The teen was not armed.

Witnesses said the deputy shouted he was a police officer before the shooting, but it's unclear if he was in uniform. Witnesses also reported hearing multiple shots.

There is a surveillance camera positioned directly above the spot where the shooting happened, but employees declined to comment on what their cameras show. And there are still many questions about the moments leading up to the shooting.

The 16-year-old was taken to Stroger Hospital in fair condition.

The deputy was taken to Rush University Medical Center to be treated for shortness of breath. He was in good condition.

A use of force expert told CBS 2's Megan Hickey that generally officers can discharge a firearm if there is an "imminent threat to life" or to "prevent bodily harm to themselves or another person."

Video made all the difference in a high profile case involving a former Chicago police officer in 2013. A police dash camera captured Officer Marco Proano firing several shots into a stolen car full of unarmed teens. Proano was found guilty of using excessive force and was later sentenced to five years in prison.

The Cook County Sheriff's Office declined to comment any further saying that the Chicago Police Department has taken over the investigation.

Chicago Police were investigating. No charges had been filed as of Tuesday morning.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.