Watch CBS News

Woman Hospitalized After Accidental Fire Breaks Out At Severn Home

BALTIMORE (WJZ) -- A woman was hospitalized with critical injuries Monday evening after she was rescued from a house fire in Severn, authorities said.

A neighbor called 911 about 6:17 p.m. after seeing smoke at the Portsmouth Drive home, the Anne Arundel County Fire Department said. When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from two-story residence.

Once inside, firefighters put out a fire in the living room and removed a woman in her 70s from the second floor of the home, the fire department said. She was taken to a hospital in life-threatening condition.

There was no immediate update on the woman's status as of Tuesday morning.

Based on a preliminary investigation, firefighters suspect the fire was accidental and that it started in the living room. There's no word yet on a cause.

The one-alarm fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage to the home.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.