Watch CBS News

Md. Woman Falls Asleep While Smoking, Starts Fire

DEALE, Md. (AP) -- Anne Arundel County fire officials say a woman and her husband have been injured in a fire after she fell asleep while smoking and using oxygen.

A fire department spokesman, Capt. James Rostek, says the incident happened about 5:30 a.m. Thursday in the 5000 block of Deale Churchton Road. He says the woman suffered life-threatening burns and was flown to the burn unit at the Washington Hospital Center.

Rostek says the woman's husband suffered minor burns and was being treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

He says the fire was confined to the bed.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.