Watch CBS News

'War Room' Established To Tackle Bloodshed In Baltimore

BALTIMORE (WJZ) --City leaders tackle the mounting violence in Baltimore on Sunday after another weekend marked by bloodshed.

Baltimore Police say at least six people have died since Friday following a rash of shootings.

The homicides come just days after Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake announced a change in command--firing Anthony Batts and appointing Kevin Davis as Interim Police Commissioner.

Amy Yensi has the latest.

On Sunday a press conference was held with the mayor, Interim Commissioner Davis, City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby and other local and federal agencies to address the record-breaking violence and announce a collaborative effort on how to tackle it.

Davis and the mayor both spoke on the 'War Room' stating that it will allow seamless collaboration among local and federal agencies.

"We are establishing a war room effective immediately to insure there are no gaps in our intelligence sharing. No gaps in our operational capacities. And no gaps in our overall commitment to identify the small number of folks who are harming our communities," said Davis.

The recent killings began Friday when police say a 40-year-old man was shot multiple times  in the 1800 block of Durham Street. He later died from his injures.

Later Friday afternoon, police responded to the 5100 block of Park Heights Ave. in North West Baltimore where two people were shot. 19-year-old Darrius Johnson later died after suffering a gunshot wound to the head.

The bloodshed continued on Saturday with two confirmed deaths. Police responded just before 7:00 a.m. in the 2100 block of East Eager Street where a 33-year-old man suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the neck. Later Saturday night, police say an 18-year-old man died from multiple gunshot wounds to the body. That shooting happened in the 4300 block of East Wabash Ave.

During the press conference City States Attorney Marilyn Mosby said they plan to go after the worst of the worst.

"We are essentially declaring war on those individuals. We are going to war and we're going to do it collaboratively," Mosby said.

Police say at 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the 1800 block of Federal Street a 29-year-old man died from a gunshot wound to the back.

By night fall Sunday, police said a man was fatally shot in the head in the 1200 block of N. Caroline Street.

News of the police departments new leader is not enough to lessen the frustration of some. Hundreds took their outrage to the streets to protest the recent murders and shootings across Baltimore. 

Council Brandon Scott says it will take more than a new face and name.

"It's going to have to be someone that has the respect of the officers, someone that has the respect pf the citizens," he said.

Anyone with any information regarding these shootings are asked to call police.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.