Watch CBS News

Wheelchair Bound Pittsburg Man Rescued From Kitchen Fire

PITTSBURG (AP) -- Firefighters had to rescue an elderly man confined to a wheelchair after a fire broke out in the kitchen of his Pittsburg home.

Battalion Chief William Walker said that after the fire started around 9:05 a.m. Sunday, firefighters rescued the 93-year-old man from a bedroom of the home.

The man's wife was able to get outside the home on her own.

Walker said the fire is believed to have started when a stove burner was left on.

Damage was estimated to be around $70,000.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.