Watch CBS News

Union City Police Search, Lockdown Ends With 2 Arrests

UNION CITY (CBS SF) - Two suspects were in custody after an extensive search and lengthy lock-down in a residential neighborhood in Union City after a burglar fired shots at officers Thursday morning, police said.

The incident started at about 10:15 a.m., when Union City police received a report of a burglary near Darlene Way and Jean Drive. Residents of the burglarized house were upstairs when they heard a knock at the door and then heard glass breaking, Union City police Lt. Ben Horner said.

When the residents came downstairs, they saw a male intruder. He was startled and ran away, Horner said.

Neighbors called police and reported seeing a man running through backyards and jumping over fences, he said. Officers arrived and began investigating the burglary, and found a person of interest on Darlene Way.

When the officers approached the man, he pulled out a handgun and fired at them and the officers fired back, Horner said. No officers were struck by the gunfire, he said. The man dodged the shots and ran away from police.

Residents were then ordered to stay in their homes and some people were evacuated, including two children from the site of the shooting, Horner said.

Police also evacuated four or five elderly residents at about 5 p.m. from the Rose Residential Care Facility and took them to a nearby community center.

Motorists were advised to avoid the area as Jean Drive, Darlene Way and Rose Way were all on police lockdown.

Police ordered residents to stay indoors during the manhunt, which ended at about 5:25 p.m. when a suspect turned himself in a few doors down from the site of the shooting, Horner said.

The suspect did not appear to be injured, he said.

Police also took another man into custody. He was found hiding in a shed on Darlene Way. The man was transported to a hospital to be treated for a dog bite inflicted by one of the K9 units and then transferred to Santa Rita County Jail, he said.

By 7 p.m., a tactical team had surrounded the home where the shooting occurred because they believed there might have been an additional suspect inside.

SWAT teams deployed chemical weapons into the home on Darlene Way before entering it to search for suspects. No additional suspects were found, police said.

Police said investigators are working to determine which of the suspects fired shots at police.

Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. Ray Kelly said the sheriff's office assisted in the search for the shooting suspect. He said the department had sent a K9 unit and two deputies to the scene.

Police from Newark, Fremont and BART, as well as Alameda County sheriff's deputies, all provided assistance.


(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.