Watch CBS News

Update: Pleasant Hill man allegedly shoots wife, triggering hours-long standoff at home

PIX Now Morning Edition 12-8-23
PIX Now Morning Edition 12-8-23 09:45

Pleasant Hill police said they closed off an area of the Sherman Acres neighborhood overnight after a man allegedly shot his wife and barricaded himself in his home.

Police said in an earlier statement that a man barricaded inside a house in the 200 block of Cleopatra Drive after he allegedly shot and wounded his wife Thursday evening.  

The incident led police to issue a shelter-in-place order that closed roadways in the area to pedestrian and vehicle traffic. Monument Boulevard was closed in both directions.  

The Pleasant Hill Police Department lifted the advisory shortly after 1:30 a.m.

Police later clarified that officers responded to the residence on Cleopatra Drive just after 7 p.m. Thursday for a welfare check on an adult female who told family members that she had been locked out of her residence by her husband. Arriving officers found the woman suffering from minor injuries to her lower body. 

Police determined the woman tried to get inside the residence through a barricaded side garage door and was hurt when her husband fired a single shot from a shotgun towards the door. The husband remained alone inside the home after the shooting, police said.

Officers secured the scene and called in the county SWAT team and crisis negotiators to de-escalate the incident. Police made numerous attempts to contact the husband via telephone and loudspeaker over the next several hours, but the man was unresponsive. 

The husband was simultaneously posting to social media during the incident and the posts suggested he could be suicidal. Negotiators continued to try to contact the man without no success. Police said when the circumstances surrounding the event indicated the husband was not an immediate threat to the public, the SWAT team left the scene and the husband was left alone inside the residence.   

Police said that while the SWAT team was no longer there, the investigation was ongoing.

"The case is still active, it doesn't mean he won't be arrested. We're monitoring the area," said Pleasant Hill Police Lt. Jason Kleven.

Kleven said officers left the immediate area in order to initiate "a little cooling-off period." 

"With us there at his house, it makes tensions run a little bit higher," Kleven said. "We're not giving up the case or anything like that."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.