Despite Arrests, No Charges in Tourist's Death
San Francisco's District Attorney has decided not to press charges against an 18-year-old arrested for the murder of a German tourist Sunday night, saying there's not yet enough evidence to prove the case.
The plan is to wait for the results of ballistics and gunshot residue tests before going any further with murder charges against 18-year-old Phillip Stewart.
DA spokesman Seth Steward says they've collected video from some of the businesses around Geary and Mason where Sunday's shoot out occurred, but they haven't been able to go through all of them.
Podcast
"The investigation is active, and I'm sure the homicide inspectors are doing their best to follow up, and look at as many leads as possible, and develop as many leads as possible," said Steward.
50-year-old Mechthild Schroer of Minden, Germany was killed Sunday night when she was hit in the head by crossfire during a shooting between two groups of young people outside a private teen dance party. She had been visiting for her birthday and a 25th wedding anniversary.