Watch CBS News

Hayward Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Sickens 3

HAYWARD (CBS SF) -- Fire officials in Hayward are reminding residents to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes after three people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in the city Sunday morning.

Staff at Kaiser Permanente called the Hayward Fire Department to report that two adults and a child with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning had arrived at the hospital's emergency room earlier Sunday morning, Capt. Thor Poulsen said.

Fire officials went to the victims' home at 758 Ellen Ave. and found measurable amounts of the toxic gas, Poulsen said.

It was the first night of the season that the family had operated the household heating system, which leaked the carbon monoxide, Poulsen said.

PG&E crews are investigating, and the home is currently uninhabitable.

As of July, all single family homes in California are required to have carbon monoxide detectors, which typically cost less than $30, Poulsen said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in headaches, dizziness, nausea, and death.

More information can be obtained by calling the Hayward Fire Department Emergency Services Office at (510) 583-4948.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.