ALAMEDA (CBS SF) -- A PG&E crew has shut off a gas leak in Alameda that forced some residents to evacuate Thursday morning, the utility reported.
A construction crew struck a 4-inch steel gas main at 3108 Central Ave. at High St at about 9 a.m. Thursday, prompting evacuations of nearby residents and forcing others within a three-block radius to shelter in place.
As of about 12:50 p.m., both the shelter-in-place and evacuation orders were lifted, Alameda Fire Department Division Chief Michael Williams said.
Alameda police said the intersection of High Street and Central Avenue was closed to all traffic because of the gas leak.
PG&E spokesman Paul Moreno said no one was injured due to the gas line rupture and no customers lost service.
for more features.