SAN JOSE, Calif. (CBS SF/AP) — Alaska Airlines on Friday said that a non-toxic de-icer caused attendants to fall ill on a flight, triggering a hazardous material response when the plane landed in San Jose Thursday.
The airline says two flight attendants reported feeling ill Thursday after a white powder fell from an air vent in the galley in the front of the plane.
Flight attendants in a front galley on Alaska Airlines Flight 322 saw a light powdery substance coming out of a vent in the ceiling. Two of them said they didn't feel well and requested medics meet them after landing, according to Ann Zaninovich, a spokeswoman for Alaska Airlines.
San Jose Fire's communications center was notified of a problem onboard the flight from Seattle around 6:25 p.m., according to Capt. Mitch Matlow.
The plane landed around 6:45 p.m., but was kept away from the terminal while emergency crews went in to assess the situation.
One attendant was taken to a hospital to be evaluated. She has been released and reported feeling fine Friday, the airline said in a statement.
The plane was removed from service and its ventilation system "will be thoroughly cleaned" before the aircraft is put back into service, the statement said.
The airline says it uses a de-icing fluid that is non-toxic.
Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Ann Zaninovich said no passengers reported any symptoms and that the pilots weren't affected.
A preliminary investigation had revealed the substance was probably residue from the aircraft's de-icing system.
TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
for more features.